Book One:
Herring's Ghost
N N N
Taken from the diary of the most noble
Almirante Devante Del Nero, admiral of the Spanish Guard Fleet and captain of
the ship El Castigue.
February 3rd, 1540
Today
at last, by the divine hand of Providence, my men and I have found the caves of
the Loa, that the natives call home to a great hiding place of gold and
fabulous gems. It is indeed on the isle of Hispaniola, though I would not be so
foolish as to describe its exact location here. I myself disembarked from the ship
and will be overseeing the exploration. A quick survey has shown that it is a
treacherous labyrinth of caverns, and we must be cautious upon entering them.
But as we approached the cave mouth, the island shaman, a witch doctor, found us
and warned us not to enter, for a terrible fate would come upon those that
would disturb the Loa. I laughed in his face and ordered my men to spit on him
and drive him away. He became very angry, and cursed me with death if we should
enter. With that he disappeared. My men and I look upon this omen with scorn.
We are men of God, and men of Spain. We do not fear superstition. We search the
caverns at dawn.
N N N
No comments:
Post a Comment